Thursday, December 27, 2007

Why does work coffee suck?

I need to clarify that for you.  Work coffee doesn't really suck, I'm talking about my work coffee.

I brought some of the Kona in to make and share with some co-workers.  I got some hot water ready, ground the beans, steeped for four minutes, and yuck!

There must be something different with the water or something, because I didn't change my grind.  It just didn't taste as good as when I made it at home.

When I made it at home, it had a great berry taste to it... a taste that I've never had before (and great!) but when I made it here at work, it tasted bland.  Well, not bland, but normal, and I've been drinking Costa Rican and similiar.  

What do I do?!

I think it may be the water.

Here's what I will did wrong:

- I used the coffee machine water
* You know that generic 3 pot office coffee machine?  I just pulled the red tab for hot water
* The water is filtered I'm sure, but was different.
- I only rinsed the carafe instead of cleaning it thorougly.
* Usually, it's used only for water but I think I saw some coffee residue from the preground Sbux we have been known to use but don't take part in.

Things I will do differently next time:

- Bring in some bottled water, distilled if possible
- Heat my water on the stove

I'll give that a whirl and see what happens then.

Has anyone else encountered weird coffee changes in location to location?  I know that coffee is variable by nature ad many factors influence it's taste, but let me know what you think.

Keep on brewing!

1 comment:

Templeton's Grandma said...

My work coffee is the WORST! My colleagues make this "Mild" grind Maxwell House, in a pot that stores in a metal carafe--it didn't start hot and it only cools off! Its so mild I actually gagged when I tried it! So I usually make a run for Jazz and Java's Costa Rican blend as soon as they open. But I worked on New Year's Eve, and wouldn't you know, the coffee bar was closed, so I had to try the cafeteria brew--it was AWFUL--so weak and cold. They should have doubled the coffee beans in the pot. It made the day feel all off!! Lesson learned: bring some beans from home for holidays!